Sheryl Johnston joins Greenstone Group
Introducing a new member of our growing Hamilton office, Sheryl Johnston. Let’s get to know her a little better.
1. Who are you, and what’s your position at Greenstone Group?
Hi, I’m Sheryl Johnston, married to Mike and the proud mum of two grown-up children Hannah & Patrick. I am the new Administration Assistant based in Hamilton.
2. What made you want to work with us?
I was looking for a new challenge as I had worked in my previous role for almost 18 years, when I heard about the opportunity at Greenstone Group I jumped at the chance, like Karen in the Auckland office, I had heard about the awesome team culture here!
3. What are you most excited to achieve here?
I’m excited to learn new skills in the area of project management, I want to become an integral part of the team. If I excel in my role it will enable the wider team to focus on what they are best at.
4. What was your journey like to get you where you are?
I was born and raised in Taranaki, in a little place called Opunake. It’s where some of our most famous All Blacks were born!
From school, I worked for TSB bank for 8 years and left to raise my children for the next 15. I was involved in all kinds of committees as treasurer, secretary to the board of trustees for their primary school, and numerous fundraising activities which kept me very busy…but loved every minute of it.
When they didn’t need me quite so much I wanted to utilise all the skills I had learned so I enrolled as an adult student at Wintec to study business administration and computing. From there I worked in the financial services company my husband and I owned here in Hamilton. I specialised in risk and medical insurance administration. When we sold that company to new owners they kept me on and I worked with them for an additional 10 years.
5. Who in your life inspires you?
My family and close friends, they inspire me to be the best I can be, I have been very lucky and have some amazing people in my life.
6. What is a great business that no one has conquered?
Reading Glasses…that can’t get lost!! If someone could invent a small enough GPS tracker I would be the first to invest!
7. What do you know is true that no one else agrees on?
That women are the best at parallel parking!
8. What is something that you love and take great pleasure in, but most people don’t like?
9. If you could throw a party of any theme here in the office, what type would it be?
A Hawaiian Luau, the dress up part is easy, the drinks are tasty and I could dust off my Ukulele.
10. What are you best known for?
My daughter would say my Leg Guitar (old party trick from my youth) I would like to think it’s my friendly smile :).